27 Nov Nonnie’s Chili Sauce
- Ripe tomatoes, peeled & chopped, 4 qts.
- White onions, finely chopped, 3 cups
- Green pepper, finely chopped, 2 cups
- Sweet red pepper, finely chopped, 1 cup
- Sugar, 2 cups
- Salt, 2 Tablespoons & Cayenne, ¼ tsp.
- Whole cloves, 1 Tablespoon
- Whole cinnamon, 3 3-inch sticks
- Mustard seed, 1 Tablespoon
- Vinegar, 3 cups
- 6 pods hot pepper, or more to taste
(omit cayenne if using hot pepper pods)
Wash vegetables thoroughly before preparing. Remove seeds and white portions from peppers before chopping. Combine vegetables, sugar, salt and cayenne in a heavy pot; place over low heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours or until the mixture thickens. Add spices tied in a square of cheesecloth and vinegar. Cook until very thick.
Pour immediately into hot sterilized jars. Seal at once. Hot Water Bath while still hot: Bring water to a boil and then put in the jars. (Water must cover the jars.) Boil 10 minutes. Makes about 5 pints