13 Jan Turkish Meatballs & Zucchini Slaw
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- 1½ teaspoons baharat seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 1 or 2 carrots
- 2 organic zucchini or yellow squash
- Lemon-tahini dressing base (lemon juice – tahini – garlic – orange juice – Marash chile flakes)
Prep the turkey mixture
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for the salad.
- Drain off any excess liquid from the ground turkey. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, baharat, and half the cilantro. Season generously with salt and pepper and mix gently until just combined. Set the bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up the mixture. While the meat is in the freezer, prepare the salad.
Make the carrot and squash ribbon salad
- Set aside half the sumac for garnish.
- Peel or scrub the carrots and trim the ends. Lay the carrots flat; using a peeler, shave the carrots lengthwise into thin ribbons.
- Lay the zucchini flat. Trim and discard the round end. Holding the stem end secure, using a peeler, shave the zucchini lengthwise into thin ribbons. Pat dry with a paper towel.
In a small bowl, stir together the lemon-tahini dressing base, half the sumac, and 2 tablespoons oil; season to taste with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss together the carrots, zucchini, remaining cilantro, and 1 tablespoon lemon-tahini dressing (set aside the remaining dressing for serving). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Assemble and cook the kebabs
- Using wet hands, form the turkey mixture into 4 balls.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Carefully turn the meatballs with a spatula, until browned and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add more oil between batches if needed.
Transfer the kebabs to individual plates and dollop with the remaining lemon-tahini dressing. Garnish with the remaining sumac and serve with the carrot and squash ribbon salad.